Thursday, December 8, 2011

Is it legal for an employer to not offer a live check pick-up?

I work for a major company in New Mexico, U.S.A. When I was hired I was interested in direct deposit until I worked for 3 months without pay. I was accidentally compensated twice for a sign on bonus (so for the first 2 paychecks I was compensated almost the same as I would have been had I been paid my bonus and then my paycheck for hours clocked), but six weeks into my employment I realized there was a problem when my third paycheck was not available for pick up. Our time card system was erroneously programmed wrong with my SSN instead of an employee number so exact hours/times of punches were lost (I kept manual times for my own records). When I demanded to be paid my missing wages, I was told I would have to write a check to the organization FIRST for all the money that had been paid so far - then be paid a lump sum for all of my missing wages and original correct bonus, without the exact hours I had worked since our time collection never managed my hours. Since this fiasco I insisted on being paid a live check that was picked up biweekly. Now we are being forced to have live checks mailed home or directly deposited, or a reloadable card be issued through a bank I do not use, nor do I wish to become a member of. I do not trust this facility with my bank information due to the clause that they have the right to withdraw funds erroneously deposited in my account. Is this type of compensation legal?|||I can't make any comments about the errors that you have experienced to this point.





I can however tell you that an employer does NOT need to offer you a way to pick up your check in person. My employer will pay ONLY via direct deposit...there is no other option at all. My husband has also had the same experience of direct deposit being required. I think it is pretty common, so it must be legal.

No comments:

Post a Comment