Thursday, December 15, 2011

Not sure whether I should take a gap year or not?

Yep this is a long question. Thanks to anyone who even tried to attempt to read this.





I've applied for Anglia Ruskin University,the Cambridge campus, this year to study Wildlife Biology. I live in London and I'm 53 miles away so I think moving out is vital. But this year has had so many problems and I'm not sure what to do.





I liked the Uni. Cambridge had a nice vibe when I visited and the campus seemed very friendly. I talked to the lecturers and I was really interested in the subject and the job prospects since there are many conservation companies in Cambridge which Anglia has links to. But all these other problems are coming to mind





First off, college has been stressing because of A-levels,girls etc.


I was not doing well in A-levels and was on the verge of being withdrawn. I've been withdrawn from Chemistry but I worked hard at Biology. So far, I'm doing 2 A-levels.Biology and Maths.





Also with girls. I liked this girl for quite a long time(over a year) and I thought she liked me too but it turned out she didn't like me because she talked about this other boy she liked and just seemed to show she liked me as a friend. Long story. Right now, we haven't talked for a month because of not seeing each other and exams but its made me upset.





I want to do Wildlife Biology at Anglia Ruskin University and I need 240 UCAS points. At first, I was unsure about it because my dad kept shouting at me for picking that instead of something like Law,Medicine etc but I followed my heart. Also, he verbally abused me so it hurt. Because my teacher withdrew me from Chemistry, I spoke to the Uni and they said they may allow me if I get 2 B's on my two A-levels(200 UCAS points), my D grade AS Chemistry(30 ucas points) and my Further Maths E grade (20 ucas points), totaling 250 UCAS points. Getting the B's seem very hard right now.





The bit that's stressing me right now is applying for accommodation and student finance. I still haven't completed that yet and the deadline is 31st May. I can't do it now because I can't remember my dad's reference number. I haven't told my dad because I'm scared that he won't approve because of my course. So I'll have to call student finance tomorrow morning about his reference number. With accommodation, Anglia Ruskin's accommodation is full and now they only have 150 rooms left with another agency(not the Uni). I found this out now and its stressed me out a lot. Plus, I have to pay a £300 deposit which I can't and I can't tell my dad or he is going to shout at me for the course I picked. Now, I'm thinking of taking a gap year.





Two things thats making me prevent taking a gap year:


1) Anglia Ruskin is increasing their tuition fee to £8300 a year


2) My dad shouted at me very angrily when I suggested taking a gap year





But if I took a gap year, I can think things through clearly,raise enough money with a job or savings and feel much less stressed. However, my course is being discontinued after this year but there are courses with very similar modules so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.





But I don't know what to do now. Should I take a gap year or should I try sorting things out now and see how it goes? I can't afford the deposit so I doubt I can get accommodation in the Cambridge campus. I could ask dad but he would shout at me and put me down for picking the course. I know he would.





Thanks so much for reading this long essay. I really appreciate you taking the time to read. :)|||Hi Mirza, I'm pleased you applied for Anglia Ruskin University,the Cambridge campus, to study Wildlife Biology. I think it best that you forego having a gap year and make the most of these early years, when learning is easiest, to continue your studies. I will get back to you with the reasons after I have studied your long document.



I am saddened that you were “withdrawn from Chemistry” particularly because my daughter was not allowed to take that subject at school (because of being a girl perhaps?) but completed the work and took GCSE after only two terms at Sixth Form College. “The bit that's stressing me right now is applying for accommodation and student finance. I still haven't completed that yet and the deadline is 31st May”. Even though you have missed the deadline that need not be a problem as long as you get your skates on! I suggest that you speak to your dad, who has your own best interests at heart. Obviously, he is concerned that you are chosing a subject that is limiting your career possibilities. You are a big boy now but you still need his support. If he shouts at you, try to see things from his point of view, tell him how much you appreciate all he has done for you, stay calm, speak quietly but firmly, and do not walk away. Taking a gap year is not wise. Good luck. 'God bless. Gladgran.|||woa now now, i think thats a really hard position to put myself in but i'lll try my best *deep breath*





i would DEFINETLY take a gap year cause i mean you have your whole life (its your own life - not your dads) to go to school and take care of your "bidness." if you take a gap year you can have a great time and have FUN and not worry about school. you can raise money and you can think about what you really want without the pressure of other people. it would be so much easier on yourself and healthier too because if you have too much stress its well unhealthy lol


a gap year would help you think and breath and it would make your life a hell'a lot easier


i dont really get your deal with grades and stuff cause i'm from the US and i don't really know the UK system but if your not doing as well as you want then i guess you can find some other place that better suits you? or just try as hard as you can lol


but i would definetly take the gap year!! good luck(: and try not to let your dad bring you down haha





i hate to do this but... answer mine? :) one long question asker to another? lol


http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;…

No comments:

Post a Comment